Wednesday 10 June 2015

A Cracker of a time

We go through a lot of cracker biscuits here, as we always have friends and neighbours popping in   or we head to them for a few drinks and snacks and as  most of the cracker biscuits cost between  1 and 2 dollars it becomes an expensive component  of our grocery shop.
I knew many  people make crackers but I had never  tried to make them myself so I decided to  give it go.
I  did a bit of research  and combined  a few different recipes to come up with what I finally made.
Firstly I  measured out 2 cups of plain all purpose flour and added a pinch of salt.
To this I added 2 tablespoons of mixed herbs, and 1 tablespoon garlic powder and mixed altogether.
I then added 4 tablespoons of margarine and rubbed it in until it resembled breadcrumbs.
Then  using a bread and butter knife I mixed in just enough cold water to bring  it altogether in the bowl.
The  dough was then turned onto my floured table and shaped  into a ball, before rolling out paper thin.
Using a pizza cutter I then  cut all the dough into the cracker shapes.
The next step  in the process is  to prick the dough all over with a fork or something similar to prevent the crackers from rising and helping to create that Crispness that is required.
I then line my baking slides with baking paper and place the small cracker
 squares on it, they can be placed really close together as they don't spread.
Next I sprayed all the cracker squares with  spray olive oil and sprinkled    my selected toppings over them, in this case it was  barbeque  flavoured  sprinkle and poppy seeds, I also did some plain ones with just  cracked pepper and salt and  a few with lemon myrtle powder.
These are then baked at 400 deg F(205 deg C) for approx 10-12 minutes or until cooked, they burn really quickly, so keep watch..
After the baking  has been completed, I cooled the crackers slightly on the tray and then transferred them onto a wire cooling rack.
I have found these crackers  invaluable, I have already made and used three big batches, and everyone  has given them the big thumbs up.
We also recently purchased a  nutri- bullet and I have been using it to make dips to eat with the crackers, lots of hommus made from my canned chick peas and also sweet potato  and cashew dip with salt/pepper, a splash of olive oil and a small  pinch  of my powdered dehydrated Habanero chilli powder. The variety of dips are endless and  I love trying new flavours and textures.
I definately will continue to make these crackers again and again , they have been so delicious and easy to make  and very well received  by pretty well everyone who has had the chance to try them.
I am always on the lookout for easy practical recipes and ideas that I can incorporate into our everyday lives.
With our busy life here at the farm  (and the renos continue)  it has really been great to sit and take a break with friends and family over a friendly  drink or cuppa.
So until we meet again,
Take care everyone,
Cheers,
Jane.

2 comments:

  1. great idea here, Jane Will give this a try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I hadn't made crackers before now, just hadn't thought about it. So glad I did, will do them more often now and experiment with a few other flavours.
      Thanks for stopping by Joanne,
      Cheers,
      Jane.

      Delete