So using a dozen eggs at a time and adding some cartons of sour cream that after Christmas were fast approaching their use by date,
After mixing this altogether I poured them into oiled muffin trays.
I dug out a few recipes that I found in my overly large collection of old cook books and decided to just wing it taking all of the info that I found on board.
I defrosted my two heads( and I apologize in advance if the pictures offend you)
All the usuable, meat, skin and fat was removed and chopped and set aside, tongues peeled and chopped and added to the meat dish and the non usable parts also given to the chickens.
The remaining liquid was then simmered for about another half an hour to reduce a little to concentrate the flavours. I measured about a litre out of this into a jug(not really knowing how much I would require), and stirred in 4 teaspoons of powdered gelatine.( I did this as a precaution as I was unsure how well it would naturally gel.
The mix was then poured into my tongue press, a beautiful old piece of kitchen equipment passed on to me about 20 years or so ago by a butcher friend, which had been previously oiled and then had a couple of layers of plastic wrap put into it with excess each side and end.
I will certainly be making this on a regular basis, quite easy and such a tasty way to use up a lot of otherwise wasted ingredients.
The older generation certainly knew how to make the most of everything, I take my hat off to them.
So , I will try and catch up with posts more often, but sometimes I just don't and I apologize in advance.
Until we meet again down the track,
Jane and Brian.